Module: 1.5.0 Exploring Curriculum Activities
This module was developed as part of the California Department of Education/Child Development Division School-Age Training Project and was revised in 2017 to incorporate specific language, examples and tips for summer and year-round learning programs.
This module offers a basic overview of the 6 curriculum areas as defined by the California Department of Education. Participants will experience a simple activity from each area and discuss the importance of a well-balanced program.
In this training participants will:
- Identify and list the 6 curriculum areas in the California Academic Content Standards.
- Consider the curriculum areas when planning program activities.
Participants will divide into 6 even groups and visit each chart for 5 minutes. The participants will add to the chart, which is divided into 2 columns, a list of activities that they currently utilize in that curricular area in their program and in the second column list their challenges in that area.
Experiencing the Curriculum
Define and visit each curriculum area with simple activities that provide fun examples of how the areas are ‘seen' in after school programs.
1. Language Arts - Simple Poetry
2. Math - Simple Dice Games
3. Science - Lima Bean Bag Garden
4. History and Social Science- Community Flags
5. Physical Education - Spoon Relays
6. Visual and Performing Arts - A Day in the Life of a Gum Ball
Training Length: 2 hours